Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

This is one of my older writings. Written after my first year as a committed Christian


Tex’s Thought Provokers 015

The Year In Review

The time is drawing very near. It has been almost one full year. November 05, 2007 to be exact. This is the date that my life began a slow but sure metamorphosis. In no way do I believe that my change was all at once like some magical trick; no, I believe that I am very much a work in progress. Further, I contend that for as long as I live, I will still be very much a work in progress. All I can do is my best.
My, but where does the time go? A year flew by at record speed. It seems that the older I get the faster time slips by. Yet, undoubtedly, you all know this same thing.
So how has my life changed thus far? First and for most, I have found a true friend, one that will always be at my side through good and bad times, no matter where I go, no matter what I do, he will never let me down. I know I can always trust him and I know that no matter what the circumstance he will always love me. He is understanding, He does not make fun of me, He is not hateful, He does not expect more from me than I can produce, He is happy when I do my best.
Beyond Jesus, I have come to get to know many folks that I have known all my life. That sounds weird doesn’t it? What I mean is, I have known these folks but in the last year, I have come to really know them. As well, I have come to know many others that I never knew, in a way that once, I never thought possible. I have come to love all these people with all my heart.
I have made friendships that will last forever. There are many, however, one comes to mind that I can not go on without mentioning. Pastor Garth, my brother in Christ, my very dear friend. If it were not for him, being the man that he is, I know that the Lord would have led me to Him, but through Garth, the transition that I made was real and very natural. I thank God for bringing us together everyday. Even though he and his family, that have come to mean so much to me and my family, are moving on, no matter where this life takes us, we have formed a relationship that will never be taken away from the works of what this world has to offer. I have never known two people that love the Lord the way Garth and Liane do. They have a great son in Colin who as well it has been a pleasure to come to know.
I have as well been reunited with some very dear friends that I grew up with. Somewhere along the way, our worlds drifted apart. Now they have drifted back together. For this I am very thankful.
In the last twenty years, I have come to learn that I love to learn. This was a somewhat different train of thought than what my teen years produced. I am not really certain when this revelation occurred to me, but I am certainly glad that it did. This last year in particular has been a year of great learning. The two things I have learned above all else are, my Father really is a smart man, and how very little I know. This is besides learning that the Lord is always with me and that he loves me.
Another day I will always remember is the day that my wife and I were baptised together last Easter. No words can explain the joy I felt that day. Besides having my family and close friends witness this, the icing on the cake was having Garth perform the baptism.
I have as well come to know that Pastor Brandon is a fine example for our young people and really, a fine example to us all. A fine young man who I am happy to call a friend. Brandon was there to catch me in case I slipped from Garth’s hands during the Baptism. Believe me I was glad he was there, but for more than just a safety net, I was pleased to have him take part in our Baptism as well. Brandon has also come to mean a great deal to my son, and for this I am very thankful.
Then we became members of our church. Another marked day. We were baptised as Baptist and we joined a Baptist church. This warrants some commentary. We belong to a Baptist church, and we were baptised by a Baptist Minister, yet, the most important thing to us is our love for Christ. This is not meant to offend anyone or belittle the Baptist’s in any way. Like I said, some of my best friends are Baptist. This being said, I do not buy into a lot of the legislation and regulation of any denomination. I believe in Jesus Christ, he is my personal saviour. I love the Lord with all my heart and soul and mind and I love others as I would want them to love me. Beyond these facts, I do not think a lot of earthly rules made by men are necessary to live a Christian’s life. Again I will stress how very important these two greatest commands that Jesus gave us are. People may be aghast that I would say such a thing. Well all I can say is if we all followed these two rules with all that is in us, the world would be a very different place. These two rules are perfect, which should come as no great surprise, being as much as they came from ultimate perfection. Follow these rules and all the rest will fall into place, because all the rest of the rules get their power and meaning from these two great rules. So very simple, and so perfect!
I find that I am more patient and more relaxed about things. Oh I still get upset now and then, I still make mistakes every day. I still worry, but not as much, and not about things I have no control over such as the past. I am making a concerted effort to quit with the “if only syndrome”.
I have come to understand that every person that walks this earth with God at his or her side, walks their own personal walk with Him. Who am I to tell them how they should walk? That is up to the Lord. I know the bible says that we should point things out to brothers and sisters that they may be doing that are not quite up to certain standards:

15 “If your brother or sister in God’s family does something wrong, go and tell them what they did wrong. Do this when you are alone with them. If they listen to you, then you have helped them to be your brother or sister again.
Matthew 18:15


1Brothers and sisters, someone in your group might do something wrong. You who are following the Spirit should go to the one who is sinning. Help make that person right again, and do it in a gentle way. But be careful, because you might be tempted to sin too.
Galatians 6:1

I think we have to be very very careful at this point. We can get several meanings from the last sentence of the above verse. It could mean for us to be careful that we are not led to doing the same thing as the other person is doing. It could also mean that there is a fine line between judging a person and trying to help them. You might therefore be tempted to think you are better than the other person. Other than what the Lord tells us is a sin, who am I to say what is wrong?

1 So do you think that you can judge those other people? You are wrong. You too are guilty of sin. You judge them, but you do the same things they do. So when you judge them, you are really condemning yourself. Romans 1: 1

11Brothers and sisters, don’t say anything against each other. If you criticize your brother or sister in Christ or judge them, you are criticizing and judging the law they follow. And when you are judging the law, you are not a follower of the law. You have become a judge. 12God is the one who gave us the law, and he is the Judge. He is the only one who can save and destroy. So it is not right for you to judge anyone. James 4:11-12
Example: If I see someone pilfering something that is not his, and let’s say it is mine, so I know beyond a doubt that he is taking the thing without permission, it would be very easy for me to say that is wrong. I would further be very confident that it was wrong, and thus a sin. It is illegal, and the Lord says not to do this type of thing. So I would then confront the individual.
However, if on the other hand, I see someone smoking a cigarette, it is not illegal, I can not find it in the bible where it is saying anything about smoking being a sin, so who am I to say it is wrong and thus a sin?
Let’s say I see a person having a beer or glass of wine. It is not illegal provided the rules are followed, Jesus turned water to wine after it seemed the party goers were already feeling extremely good, yes, Jesus was without sin and the only person ever to walk the earth that was or is perfect, He drank wine, so how could it be a sin if He is sinless? I for one do not believe it is a sin unless you lead others to sin with its use. But then, there are many things we could say that do that. I refuse to judge a person to be sinning for something I do not believe is a sin.

9Don’t let all kinds of strange teachings lead you into the wrong way. Depend only on God’s grace for spiritual strength, not on rules about foods. Obeying those rules doesn’t help anyone. Hebrews 13:9

10 Jesus called the people to him. He said, “Listen and understand what I am saying. 11 It is not what people put in their mouth that makes them wrong. It is what comes out of their mouth that makes them wrong.” Matthew 15:10-11

18 Why do I say people are like that? Because John came, not eating like other people or drinking wine, and people say, ‘He has a demon* inside him.’ 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and people say, ‘Look at him! He eats too much and drinks too much wine. He’s a friend of tax collectors and other sinners.’ But wisdom is shown to be right by what it does.”
Matthew 11:18-19

That being said, I do believe however that a person should not be drunk. They should always be ready and of sound mind, for we never know the minute or second that Jesus will come again. To me, there is a huge difference between having a drink with friends and being drunk and involved in wild parties.

42 “So always be ready. You don’t know the day your Lord will come”. Matthew 24:42

13 “So always be ready. You don’t know the day or the time when the Son of Man will come.” Matthew 25:13

32 “No one knows when that day or time will be. The Son and the angels in heaven don’t know when that day or time will be. Only the Father knows. 33 Be careful! Always be ready. You don’t know when that time will be. Mark 13:32-33

34 “Be careful not to spend your time having parties and getting drunk or worrying about this life. If you do that, you won’t be able to think straight, and the end might come when you are not ready.”
Luke 21:34

13 We should live in a right way, like people who belong to the day. We should not have wild parties or be drunk. We should not be involved in sexual sin or any kind of immoral behavior. We should not cause arguments and trouble or be jealous. Romans 13:13

17 So don’t be foolish with your lives, but learn what the Lord wants you to do. 18 Don’t be drunk with wine, which will ruin your life, but be filled with the Spirit. Ephesians 5:17-18

19 The wrong things the sinful self does are clear: committing sexual sin, being morally bad, doing all kinds of shameful things, 20 worshiping false gods, taking part in witchcraft, hating people, causing trouble, being jealous, angry or selfish, causing people to argue and divide into separate groups, 21 being filled with envy, getting drunk, having wild parties, and doing other things like this. I warn you now as I warned you before: The people who do these things will not have a part in God’s kingdom. Galatians 5:19-21

With my kids, I have always told them, if you think or feel something is wrong, it likely is. So don’t do it. It goes the same for us, if we think it might be wrong, it likely is. So don’t do it. But don’t keep from doing something that is not a written law, just because someone else says it is wrong. If Jesus didn’t tell us it was wrong, and it is not a law of the land, then who gives another person the right to say something is wrong just because they do not like it?
I want to stress that I further believe if something is wrong for another person, say that person has a problem with drinking alcohol, then I certainly would not tempt that person with drink. I don’t think others should do this either. To me this is a great sin when you tempt a person into doing any kind of wrong. This being said, not everyone has a problem with alcohol. No two people are the same when it comes to anything.

2 Don’t change yourselves to be like the people of this world, but let God change you inside with a new way of thinking. Then you will be able to understand and accept what God wants for you. You will be able to know what is good and pleasing to him and what is perfect. Romans 12:2

16 Don’t allow what is good for you to become something they say is evil. 17 In God’s kingdom, what we eat and drink is not important. Here is what is important: a right way of life, peace, and joy—all from the Holy Spirit. Romans 14:16-17

21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything else that hurts the faith of your brother or sister. 22 You should keep your beliefs about these things a secret between yourself and God. It is a blessing to be able to do what you think is right without feeling guilty.
Romans 14:21-22
Some of you are by now wondering why I harp on this so much. I will attempt to explain.
I have heard it said that the greatest stumbling block to the church is the church itself. All the while we live by rules that man has made in one form or another, it is my belief that people have been and are being driven further from the Lord. Things people have heard that has turned them off are like the following: “Oh my land…you dance? That is a sin! You mustn’t do that!” “Oh you evil person you…you smoke! That is detestable! You are certainly not welcome in this house!” “Look at that poor excuse for a man…I mean he drinks…what an abomination!” “Oh my heavens!!!!...That is the devils music! That rock and roll heathen music!” “You would watch a movie such as the likes of that! That is terrible! What a terrible sin that is!”
I think you are getting the picture. My point is that there are a lot of wonderful people that live good and peaceful lives that would perhaps like to come to church and hear God’s word, and have fellowship with other good people. But I can tell you that this will not happen as long as folks feel they are better than others. It won’t happen as long as folks are missing the real point of being a Christian. People do not want to be made to feel like they are terrible people because they do some things that are different, not wrong, but different than others.
One of the reasons I think folks are confused, is as follows.
Have you ever set down to read one of Shakespeare’s Sonnets?
I have, and it was very hard for me to understand. If you are good at such a thing, I think it is wonderful. It is written in a language that I do not do very well with.
The same thing goes for the King James Version of the Bible. If you understand it, I think it is just wonderful, however, it was written a long time ago, in street language of that time. It was not the formal language of that time. I am glad that it was translated, for it was in Greek, Hebrew and Latin prior to this. I doubt a large portion of the people in this world would have had much success trying to understand this. The number one reason it was translated was so the word of God could be brought to those that did not have it. Brought to them in a language they could understand. The meaning was not changed and people of that time understood it better. I say better, because even in a language we can understand the Bible is hard enough to understand. When brother Garth gave me my easy to read version of the Bible, my world really started to change. I read with great enthusiasm because for the first time in my life I really understood more of what the Bible was saying. I read it every single day and I love doing it. For me it goes hand in hand with Jesus, because Jesus is the Word.
I am not saying the New King James Version is bad; again, if you understand what it is saying then I really do think it is wonderful.
My Bible came from the World Translation Center in Texas. I have come to learn that this organization ships thousands of Bibles in hundreds of Languages to many countries around the world so that the easy to read version can be had by all peoples. What a wonderful and great thing to do.
I have one more point concerning this. In talking with a Christian from another church, not long ago, the conversation we were having was to do with the Bible. I know this individual had been a Christian for a very long time, and a very good person. The person was trying their best to be what the Lord wanted them to be. I know this in my heart. I have no doubt whatsoever. I said something and the person looked at me as if I were odd (I Know…a lot of folks do). I can’t even remember what verse it was we were talking about. In short, he had read the verse many times. He told me that he never really understood what it was saying. But the way my Bible said it, made it very clear to him.
What may be good for one person may not be good for another, and vise versa.
All in all, it has been one of the best years of my life. I have a wonderful family. I have a host of very dear friends. I am fortunate enough to work in the field I love. It gives me great pleasure to say that we live in one of the greatest, really, the greatest, country in the world. I have the Lord with me wherever I go, what ever I do. Yes, I am a very fortunate man.
Another thing that comes to mind is the power of prayer. I really do believe that there is a lot to be said about prayer. I am convinced the Lord likes it when we pray. I am further convinced that prayer is answered, it may be answered in such a way that we did not see coming, but the Lord does answer prayers. It may not be at a time of our choosing, but the Lord does answer prayers.
Prayers, I don’t think, have to be fancy or elaborate. They have to be real. They have to be simple and filled with praise for Jesus. I think there is power in group prayers, but also, there are those times in the day when we should very quietly just talk with the Lord. It is important to be truly thankful in our prayers. But above all, they should be real.

Speaking of real, it is my belief that the Lord wants us to be real. He does not want us to put on Sunday faces and be something we are not. He does not want us to be one way in front of people at church on Sunday, then for the rest of the week be something we try to let on we are not. When the Pastor, Minister, Vicar, Rector, Priest, Preacher, Reverend what ever the case may be, gives you a sermon, there is meaning for our lives behind him or her doing this. It is not meant for us to sit and listen for an hour or so, then forget about it. In other words, the Lord knows if you are a Sunday Christian. He knows all and sees all, He even know the number of hairs on your head. So far be it from me to think that I can fool the Lord. To me, those that try this are only fooling themselves.
There is yet another thing that I have learned. I am getting older, not old, just older. With that, I can not do what I did when I was in my twenties and thirties. I try sometimes to do too much. I find it hard to say no to those that ask. Yet, somehow, I have got to learn to say no once in a while. When I say yes to something I am saying no to something else. Last year my wife and I made a point of going for a walk almost every day. Lately, she has reminded me that the almost everyday walks have gone to once in a while to when we can. It is not so much the exercise, though it is very good for us, it is an hour or so each day for her and I to be husband and wife and just enjoy each other. I feel that this is very important.
So in the coming year, I plan to change things a bit. I will not quit everything, but I will have to cut back.
Work for me has new meaning, but it is still very demanding time wise. So we have Monday evening free. One Tuesday a month is a meeting and training night at the fire hall. Wednesday’s are Juniors at the fire house. Thursday night is bible study night. Friday is usually free. Saturday is sometimes free. Church on Sunday. Walk on Monday nights when there is nothing else happening, walk on Friday and Saturday when there is nothing else happening. Well….you get the idea. So folks, I am going to set down and make some decisions very soon. I know that people will understand.
In closing, I would like to thank those of you that have been so kind and loving to me and my family. I am not going to single you out because you know who you are. You folks really are Salt of The Earth.
Until next time, live for the Lord, and be real. In Christ Tex

No comments:

Post a Comment