Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Shewgundy


February 13, 2010

Tex’s Thought Provokers 016

Shewgundy

Once a very long time ago, to a place called Shewgundy, our destination; a small boy, a dog named Sheppy, and a lady named Kate, embarked on a most interesting adventure.

A gentle breeze whispered through the fresh green leaves of two giant Manitoba Maple trees, while the long grass in the field before them swayed giving the illusion of waves on the water. The bright sunlight added to this effect causing the grass to almost gleam as it waltzed with the wind.

Shewgundy was a mystical place that the boy had heard the big people talking about, but he had never been there. He knew it was in a place far far away; some day he hoped he would go there. Today was that long awaited day.

As the boy skipped along he was filled with eager anticipation of what this grand expedition might entail. As ever, Sheppy kept close to the boy with the watchful eye of a great protector. Kate walked steadily along, stopping every so often long enough only to urge the boy to come along.

As they past the white barn where the chickens lived, the lad looked at Kate’s long red hair as it blew in the wind sweeping across her face; and he wondered how she could see, and if it tickled. Above him and to the left, on the side hill was the big flat rock where he and Sheppy had spent many wondrous times just setting and watching. The big rock was as far as he had ever ventured, from here on, it would be knew territory.

Well below him and to his right, was first the railroad track, then the road, and finally the big river. He thought of how the man in the train engine, as well as the man in the caboose, would always wave at him when they went by and they saw him and Sheppy on the rock.

In those days, the army moved long convoys of machines and men up and down the road. However, he thought, that it had been a very long time since he had seen them; it must have been at least two weeks. He figured, surly they would be back soon, and he told Sheppy as much as he patted her lovingly on the head.

The boy’s mind then drifted to the river and the big event he had been witness to not long ago. The river was filled with what the big people called pulp, and he remembered watching the strange looking boats with men on them with long spears, they used the spears to poke at the pulp. Yes, there were many odd things to watch from the rock, and he was glad that he could watch such amazing things with such a good friend as Sheppy.

As the troop of adventurers continued on, through the field with many huge rocks, Kate stopped next to a very strange looking plant. It was very tall with peculiar leaves and on top there was a small pink paint brush, at least that is what he thought it looked like. Kate smiled and told him it was a Thistle. She gently took hold of his hand as he reach to touch the "fistle". Apparently, those funny looking leaves had sharp sticky things on the ends, nasty things that would hurt if they were touched by young boys.

Then with time being of the essence, Kate told him that they had to press on, for there was yet much to do, and a fair way to go. The huge rocks reminded him of a scene in a movie he had gone to see with his Mum and Dad. It was all about men both good guys and bad guys, in some war, that was what his Dad had told him. All he knew was, there were some scary parts in that movie; parts where bad guys jumped out from behind rocks just like these, and when they jumped out they were shooting at the good guys. However, his Dad had told him it was just a movie, and that really, it was not happening. His Dad had also told him not to worry, because some man named John would save the day. Sure enough he was right.

Remembering the movie and how big John saved the day was of little comfort now, because there was no big man named John anywhere around here. Oh there was John up at the store, but that was a long way from here. Then it occurred to him that Sheppy was there, and she would never let anything bad happen to Kate or him. So he felt better, yet, he kept a close watch on the rocks, in the event that a bad guy would jump out at them, he would be ready, just in case.

The boy had no way of knowing then, but this would be the site of many great battles in the future. Desperate battles, where all that there was depended on their outcome.

Soon they came to a huge barn that he had only seen before from a very long way away. He was astounded by it’s gigantic size, for it looked so much smaller from where he usually looked at it. Kate told him as they came up to the barn, to never go near it. Inside the floor timbers were weak with age, and he might fall through. Besides that, there were all sorts of Mice, Rats, mean old barn Cats, and perhaps even some wild animals like Raccoon's living inside. None of which he found appealing in any way.

The boy assured Kate she had nothing to worry about; he would indeed stay away from the barn. On the outside he tried to seem brave, yet on the inside, he felt that the barn was quite a spooky looking place, and he was really quite glad to accommodate Kate’s wishes.

As they started to move on he looked up the hill to his left and he spied beneath a lone apple tree, a small pile of dirt. He quickly pointed it out to Kate, and then inquired as to what caused it. Kate explained that it was a Groundhog, and that there would be a hole, next to the pile of dirt, in the ground where the animal made his home. This was just too much good information, for a young lad not to at least go and have a closer look. Kate agreed to let him go, she would wait, but only on the condition that he took a quick look and then came back.

Sheppy let out with a short bark, as the boy wheeled and ran up the hill toward the Groundhog’s home, with Sheppy bouncing along at his side. Upon reaching the dirt, and after catching his breath, he looked down and sure enough there was a hole just as Kate had said. Sheppy drove her nose deep into the hole, and then she dug at the hole. When Kate observed this from below, she called Sheppy and the boy to come back. The boy started back down the hill, and Sheppy reluctantly followed, wearing her disappointed dog look.

After they had passed the old barn, to the right was an old house. It was not very big and it looked like no one lived there, the windows were all broken and there was no door. Kate told him that it was an old abandoned house and he was to stay away from this place too. It looked even more scary than the barn, so he thought staying away would be easy.

By now they were at the end of the field and straight in front of them was a steep hill with trees of all kinds growing on it. To the left there was an old road that led up a hill slightly less steep. Kate pointed up the old road and told him that this was the way. He looked down the hill to his right as he walked up the old road and he could see a small brook babbling away at the base. Beyond the brook there was the other hill covered in trees, much steeper, and going up away from the brook.

Kate pointed at the brook and explained that in the spring, a person with some ambition, could find an ample supply of fiddle heads along the brook. Now the boy knew what these were. His Dad had taken him to another place to pick them along time ago that very past spring. He remembered he like it, mud, water, woods, flies, and all sorts of fun things went along with picking fiddle heads. Picking them though, was not anywhere near as good as eating them when his Mum fixed them for him. Vinegar, butter, salt and pepper, and fresh buttered bread. Emmmm…he thought…he could almost taste them now.

Onward they went, and before too long they had reached the summit of the hill. At this juncture, the old road crossed the small brook. Kate took his hand and helped him step from stone to stone to manage the crossing to the other side. Sheppy just waded right into the brook, stopping mid way to lap up a sweet drink of fresh cool water.

Once on the other side, Kate put her finger to her lips and whispered for the boy to be very quiet. If they were to go carefully, and they were very fortunate, they might get to see some Pheasants.

They turned to the right away from the road into a small clearing. There was a page wire fence to the left of the clearing and woods to the right. The clearing was covered with pasture like grass between numerous rocks. Ahead at the end of the clearing were several apple trees, behind them, more woods. On the other side of the fence to the left was an old field that wasn't farmed anymore, nature was reclaiming the field as there were many weeds, shrubs and small trees growing up in it.

Kate stopped and looked ahead to the apple trees, and then informed the boy that there were no Pheasants today. Then, she simply said one word; Shewgundy.

They sat down on some rocks near the brook and Kate said that in the fall they would come back to Shewgundy and pick some apples. The Pheasants were more likely to be there then. She as well pointed out the wild grapes that were growing on the fence behind them. She said that they would make good jelly and perhaps they could come pick enough to make a batch later in the summer when it was their time to be harvested. She explained that further on up the old road there was another spot to pick raspberries. These would make a lovely pie.

After setting, petting Sheppy and listening to Kate, he decided that Shewgundy was one of his very most favorite places that he had ever been. He concluded that there could be no place in the world that was quite as special.

Soon they were walking back down the hill on the old road. It was sure a lot easier going back down the hill than it was going up. As they entered the field at the bottom, Kate turned and walked toward the old abandoned house. She told the boy that it was time to gather some rhubarb.

This turn of events excited the boy, for he knew that rhubarb meant pie, and that was scrumptious. As Kate went to work carefully picking only the best stalks, the boy was busy in another patch picking as well. When he brought them over and began to lay them in the pile with Kate’s, she laughed and said that there was a difference between rhubarb and burdock's. She then showed the boy and explained the difference.

“Ran…Ran…wake up. You can go in now if you would like too.” It was my Father, he thought I was asleep, but really I was in deep thought. I guess when I didn’t answer him the first time, even though I guess I heard him; he thought I had drifted off. It had been a long evening. I had heard him, but I really didn’t want to leave what was filling my mind.

Grammy Kate had had another heart attack and she was in intensive care. It was either her third or fourth, I’m not sure which. It didn’t matter, all I could think of was the times I had spent with her. Our adventure to Shewgundy was but one of our times that I had been recalling all afternoon and evening. Yes, I had heard Dad; I guess I just was afraid of what he might have to say to me.

After realizing what he said, I told him that I did want to go in. So half scared to death, I followed Dad to meet a nurse that guided me in. I tried my best to appear calm and I nervously smiled as I walked up beside her. I bent over and kissed her on the forehead and gently pushed some of her still red hair back from her cheek. She looked so feeble and tired. Gram always had fair skin, but that night her skin was even more white. As I held her hand, it was so cold in my hand.

I said softly, “Gram…are you warm enough?”

As soon as she heard my voice she knew, “Randi…it’s you…yes dear I’m fine.”

As I continued to hold her hand, she turned her head slightly and she tried to focus on me, she was not wearing her glasses.

“Randi…there is something I need to tell you.”

I interrupted, “Gram…you need to rest, you can tell me later when you are feeling better, you just need to rest for now.”

“No…I need to talk now….I don’t think there will be another chance.”

On hearing this, of course I didn’t want too, so I tried to stop her.

“Now Gram, you’re going to be just fine.”

She stopped me and I didn’t argue with her for fear of upsetting her more.

“No…now you have to listen to me…I have had a very good life. It is just time for me to go home. Now listen, I have always known you were a good boy. I’m not going to tell you how to live your life. I know that will all work out just fine. But, I want you to please promise me this.”

“Yes Gram, what is it?”

“I want you to continue to always be a good boy, and then you will be a good man. And above all else….I want you to please promise me that you will always treat other folks the way you would want them to treat you.”

“Yes…I promise Gram…now don’t you worry…you rest now, and get better, I promise I will do my best.”

“Good…I know you will.”

The nurse was there then and urging me, it was time I let Gram rest. I kissed her on the forehead again and left her side. She was now sleeping peacefully.

Later that night, Gram slipped away. At the time it hurt. Gram was the first really close loss I’d had. It hit me very hard, for I had spent a great deal of time with her growing up. At the time there were only two other women that equalled a place in my heart the way she did. That was my Mother and Gram Smith. I loved them all the same, different, but they all were equal in my heart, special ladies each of them in their own ways.

Now Gram Hallett was one of the kindest people I have ever known. It even hurt her feelings to swat a fly. She was also very smart. That is not to say I held her in any higher regard than Gram Smith or Mum, like I said, I loved them all the same.

Yet, not long ago, I realized just how smart my Gram Hallett was. I had made her that promise, and from that very night on, I always did try to fulfill that vow. It was very hard to do at times. And I am certain there were times when I failed to keep the promise at all. At least though, I have always tried to make an effort.
I didn’t have the slightest idea what the promise really meant at the time I made it. I guess then, I thought she was just trying to get me to be a good boy and grow into a good man. But she knew something, something that I would take a long time to come to learn. Yet she knew I would someday learn it. She had faith. A strong and pure faith. I know she had hurts and pains in her life, however, I can honestly say that I never heard her say a single bad word about anyone, or anything.

What was just a way of life for her, took me a very long time to figure out. She knew that there were two great laws. She further knew, that if someone tried to force anything on me, that I was very strong willed and I would reject it just on my stubborn principles. She didn’t say a word about the first great Law. She knew it would do no good at that time to say anything. So she spoke only of the second great Law. See, she knew in her heart, she had great faith, that if I followed the second great Law, that I would eventually come to follow the first great Law. She was right.

37 Jesus answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and most important command. 39 And the second command is like the first: ‘Love your neighbour the same as you love yourself.’ 40 All the law and the writings of the prophets* take their meaning from these two commands.” Matthew 22:37-40

Until next time, may the Lord bless and keep you all.
In Christ Tex

No comments:

Post a Comment