Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Music's Song


Music’s Song

Have you ever listened to the words as they join perfectly with the melody? Yes there are songs and music beautiful in their own right, but then to a certain degree; I believe all music is good. And then every so often there comes along a union of words and notes that are special. It’s easy for me because there is no doubt when I witness this magical marriage of notes and words that truly make a good song. It’s like a chill shutters through me constantly over and over until the song finishes. My hair stands on end. I can literally feel the air that surrounds me. My breath quickens and I swear I can feel my heart beating. At the same time it’s like I leave my very body, I see things yet I don’t. I know things are around me, but they become different. I think this is perhaps seeing beyond what the eyes can take in. Possibly this is simply my soul.

I shut my eyes and I am right there amid the life like dream that the person is painting for me in my mind. That is what I call a performer. So vivid, so real, I don’t need to ever see the video of the song. Every time I listen I truly see my own video in my mind. It’s so intense and real; when I do see a video of the song, it usually pales by comparison to my minds version.

For me it’s not about hopping and bopping around acting like so many monkeys trying to entertain. It’s when a simple group of words that seem to flow from the singer in a way that touches my very soul. It has nothing to do with lights and explosions. A true performer doesn’t need all the glitz, all a true performer needs to do is sing with their heart. The thing that touches me is the union of the words with the right music performed with passion. It’s magic, its spell binding, and no matter how many times I hear the song, it repeatedly takes me away, I never tire of it, when the marriage is a good one, I could listen to the same song over and over all night.

No matter how ugly things get, the best medicine a doctor could ever prescribe is a quiet corner off by yourself with a set of headphones and no interruptions. Find some songs that do it for you and let yourself feel the passion. Close your eyes and if it is really exceptional, don’t be surprised if after the song finishes you find that you have shed a few tears. That is music, the cheapest drug I know of. No hangovers, sickness, or other undesirable side effects. Just peace………..

Over the years I have heard many folks say….I wish I could play and sing…..I always say the same thing. You can, it doesn’t matter a lot if it is perfect. It doesn’t have to be. All you need to do is let your passion free. Take the step, you might surprise yourself. Yet if you find you just can’t do it; don’t let that stop you. Listen with your heart. Get in touch with your soul.

I am certain that if everyone took a few minutes every day to get with their soul, there would be a lot less hate in this world. That’s what music can do, set you free. Give it a try; you have nothing to lose and a soul to gain.

RL Tex Smith November 13, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment